Friday, January 05, 2007

letter in Telegram

From today's Telegram and Gazette:

Last night I watched the City Council Meeting and watched my District Councilor, Barbara Haller, say that she canvassed the District as to whether or not she should vote in favor of the City Councilor pay increase from $15,750 to $29,000. She proceeded to report that she had received “overwhelming” support to vote in favor of the 84% increase for herself.

Let me state here that I am a lifelong resident and registered voter in District 4 and this increase certainly does not receive my support, anyone in my family’s support nor anyone in my neighborhood that I canvassed. Exactly where did the City Councilor receive this support in District 4?

One of the reasons I heard that this 89% was justified was that this was the first raise since 1986. This argument may work for someone like Councilor Clancy or Lukes, who has been a city councilor since 1986, but how does that argument work for the others. In the case of our District 4 City Councilor Barbara Haller, is she not taking credit for Councilor Nadeau’s service from 1986 until her election in 2001 to justify the 89% raise?

In closing, I do honestly feel that the City Councilors may be underpaid and deserve an annual cost of living increase, but approving an 89% pay increase for themselves as schools are closed, pools can not be opened each summer and basic services like trash removal cost me $1 per bag is simply unfair. I only wish I was able to approve my own pay increases at my job.


Sincerely,


Patricia Clark
Worcester, MA

Lynne Simonds for District Four

1 Comments:

At 11:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree wholeheartedly, I live on the opposite side of the district. Not only is Councilor Haller a no-show, she doesn't deserve that kind of raise. No bones about it

 

Post a Comment

<< Home